Alex trained as a scientist with a degree in human biology focussed on cell biology, immunology and genetics at Philips University in Marburg, Germany and subsequently worked in Frankfurt (Germany), Dublin (Ireland) and Munich (Germany) mainly in the field of Parkinson’s before accepting the role of European Research Manager for EUROPAR in 2011.
EUROPAR is dedicated to academic research in non-motor aspects of Parkinson’s, improving care for people with Parkinson’s and delivering excellence in clinical research across Europe. EUROPAR is formally affiliated to the European Parkinson’s Disease Association (EPDA), as well as the International Parkinson’s and Movement Disorders Society (IPMDS). Alexandra took up her post in February 2011 and is now based at the National Parkinson’s Foundation centre of excellence at King’s College Hospital in London and also has an international role as the co-ordinator of the IPMDS Non-Motor PD study group. She has written reviews and papers on non-motor aspects of Parkinson’s and continuous drug delivery therapies and presents work related to her EUROPAR role regularly at international conferences, e. g. International Parkinson’s and Movement Disorders Society meetings or the World Congresses on Parkinson’s Disease and Related Disorders. Alexandra also manages research on behalf of the London South Nervous Systems sub-speciality group across the UK and is leading CRISP (Community for Research Involvement and Support for people with Parkinson’s), a patient and public involvement group at King’s.
- Parkinson’s disease
- Research studies
- Metta, A. Rizos, K. R. Chaudhuri. Non-motor Symptoms and Parkinson’s Disease.ACNR 2010; 10 (1): 19-21
- Papingji, A. Rizos,C. Clough, A. Forbes, K. Ray Chaudhuri: Reversible acute worsening of motor and non-motor symptoms in advanced Parkinson’s disease after long distance travels. Basal Ganglia 1 (2011) 231–232
- H. Jost, N. Papanas, A. Rizos,J. W. Russell, D. Ziegler: Interkulturelle Adaptation des Survey of AutonomicSymptoms (SAS) – Cross-Cultural Adaptation of the Survey of Autonomic Symptoms (SAS). Diabetologie 2012; 7: 30–32
- Ray Chaudhuri, A. Rizos, K. D. Sethi;Motor and nonmotor complications in Parkinson’s disease: an argument for continuous drug delivery? J Neural Transm DOI 10.1007/s00702-013-0981-5
- Reddy, P. Martinez-Martin, A. Rizos, A. Martin, G. C. Faye, I. Forgacs, P. Odin, A. Antonini, K Ray Chaudhuri: Intrajejunal levodopa versus conventional therapy in Parkinson’s disease: motor and non motor effects.Clin Neuropharm 2012; 35: 205-207
- Todorova A, Martinez-Martin P, Martin A, Rizos A,Reddy P, Chaudhuri Daytime apomorphine infusion combined with transdermal Rotigotine patch therapy is tolerated at 2 years: A 24-h treatment option in Parkinson’s disease. Basal Ganglia 2013; 3: 127-130.
- Zis, A. Rizos,P. Martinez – Martin, S. Pal, M. Silverdale, J. C. Sharma, A. Sauerbier and K. Ray Chaudhuri. Non-Motor Symptoms Profile and Burden in Drug Naive Versus Long-Term Parkinson’s Disease Patients. J Parkinson’s Disease 4 (2014) 541–547.
- Rizos, P. Martinez-Martin, P. Odin, A. Antonini, B. Kessel, T. Klemencic Kozul, Todorova , A. Douiri, A. Martin, F. Stocchi, E. Dietrichs, K. Ray Chaudhuri, on behalf of EUROPAR and the IPDMDS non-Motor PD Study Group. Characterizing motor and non-motor aspects of early-morning off periods in Parkinson’s disease: An international multicenter study. Parkinsonism Rel Disord 20 (2014) 1231-1235
- Ray Chaudhuri, A. Todorova, M. J. Nirenberg, M. Parry, A. Martin, P. Martinez-Martin, A. Rizos, T.Henriksen, W. Jost, A. Storch, G. Ebersbach, H. Reichmann, P. Odin, A. Antonini. A Pilot Prospective, Multicenter Observational Study of Dopamine Agonist Withdrawal Syndrome in Parkinson’s Disease.Mov Disord Clin Pract 2014: 2 (2):170–174, DOI:10.1002/mdc3.12141
- Martinez-Martin, P. Reddy, R Katzenschlager, A. Antonini, A. Todorova, P. Odin, T. Henriksen, A. Martin, D. Calandrella, A. Rizos, N. Bryndum, A. Glad, H. S. Dafsari, L. Timmermann, G. Ebersbach, M. G. Kramberger, M. Samuel, K. Wenzel, V. Tomantschger, A. Storch, H. Reichmann, Z. Pirtosek, M. Trost, P. Svenningsson, S. Palhagen, J. Volkmann, K. Ray Chaudhuri. EuroInf: A Multicenter Comparative Observational Study of Apomorphine and Levodopa Infusion in Parkinson’s Disease. Mov Disord2015; 30: 510-516. DOI: 10.1002/mds.26067
- Zis, P. Martinez-Martin, A. Sauerbier, A. Rizos, J. C. Sharma, P. F.Worth, R. Sophia, M. Silverdale and K. Ray Chaudhuri, Non-motor symptoms burden in treated and untreated early Parkinson’s disease patients: argument for non-motor subtypes. European J Neurol 2015, 0: 1–6
- Ray Chaudhuri, A. Rizos,Trenkwalder,O. Rascol, S. Pal, D. Martino, C. Carroll, D. Paviour, C. Falup-Pecurariu, B. Kessel, M. Silverdale, A. Todorova, A. Sauerbier, P. Odin, A. Antonini, P. Martinez-Martin on behalf of EUROPAR and the IPMDS Non Motor PD Study Group: King’s Parkinson’s Disease Pain Scale, The First Scale for Pain in PD: An International Validation Mov Disord. 2015 Oct;30(12):1623-31.
- Ray Chaudhuri, A. Sauerbier, J.M. Rojo, K. Sethi, A.H.V. Schapira, R.G. Brown, A. Antonini, F. Stocchi, P. Odin, K. Bhattacharya, Y. Tsuboi, K. Abe, A. Rizos,C. Rodriguez-Blazquez, P. Martinez-Martin. The burden of non-motor symptoms in Parkinson’s disease using a self-completed non-motor questionnaire: A simple grading system.Parkinsonism Rel Disord 21 (2015) 287e291
- S. Dafsari, P. Reddy, C. Herchenbach, S. Wawro, J. N. Petry-Schmelzer, V. Visser-Vandewalle, A. Rizos, M. Silverdale, K. Ashkan, M. Samuel, J. Evans, C. A. Huber, G. R. Fink, A. Antonini, K. Ray Chaudhuri, P. Martinez-Martin, L. Timmermann, on behalf of the IPMDS Non-Motor Symptoms Study Group. Beneficial Effects of Bilateral Subthalamic Stimulation on Non-Motor Symptoms in Parkinson’s Disease. Brain Stimulation 9 (2016) pp. 78-85. DOI: 10.1016/j.brs.2015.08.005