Dr. Daniel van Wamelen is a clinical fellow and neurologist working with Professor Ray Chaudhuri at King’s College London and the National Parkinson Foundation International Centre of Excellence. He works on the design, set-up and completion of several projects linked to non-motor symptoms in Parkinson’s disease, Tourette’s syndrome, and dystonia. The focus of these projects is on repurposing existing therapies for Parkinson’s disease and artificial intelligence and remote monitoring of non-motor symptoms. Moreover, he is involved in writing and the submission of grant applications, and the supervision of MSc students.
He is involved in the following trials and studies: CTH-301 (sub-investigator), CTH-302 (sub-investigator), M15-741 (subinvestigator), Advance-CIDP1 Baxalta (sub-investigator), Convey (sub-investigator), Ampreloxetine Theravance (sub-investigator), WTX Wilson’s disease (sub-investigator).
He graduated in Medicine at Leiden University (the Netherlands), obtained his PhD entitled ‘Hypothalamic pathology in Huntington’s Disease’ at the same university with a large part of the work carried out at the Netherlands Institute for Neuroscience in Amsterdam. He trained as a Neurologist at the Leiden University Medical Centre where he obtained his degree in 2016. Daniel is a member of the European Huntington’s Disease Network, the International Parkinson and Movement Disorder Society and an associate member of the European Academy for Neurology.
- MD (the Netherlands)
- PhD (the Netherlands)
- Neurologist (the Netherlands)
- Parkinson’s disease
- Huntington’s disease
- Movements disorders
- Clinical trials (commercial and non-commercial)
- Neuropathology, mainly of the hypothalamus
- van Wamelen, D. J., Taddei, R. N., Calvano, A., Titova, N., Leta, V., Shtuchniy, I., … & Chaudhuri, K. (2020). Serum Uric Acid Levels and Non-Motor Symptoms in Parkinson’s Disease. Journal of Parkinson’s Disease, (Preprint), 1-8.
- ten Harmsen B, van Rumund A, Aerts M, Esselink RAJ, Richard E, Meijer FJ, Bloem BR, van Wamelen DJ. Clinical correlates of cerebral white matter abnormalities in patients with Parkinson’s disease. Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2018;49:28-33.
- Zhao J, Verwer RW, van Wamelen DJ, Qi XR, Gao SF, Lucassen PJ, Swaab DF. Prefrontal changes in the glutamate-glutamine cycle and neuronal/glial glutamate transporters in depression with and without suicide. J Psychiatr Res. 2016;82:8-15.
- van Wamelen DJ, Roos RAC, Aziz NA. Therapeutic strategies for circadian rhythm and sleep disturbances in Huntington disease. Neurodegen Dis Manage. 2015;5(6):549‐59.
- Zhao J, Qi XR, Gao SF, Lu J, van Wamelen DJ, Kamphuis W, Bao AM, Swaab DF. Different stress‐related gene expression in depression and suicide. J Psychiatr Res. 2015;68:176‐
- van Wamelen DJ, Aziz NA, Roos RA, Swaab DF. Hypothalamic alterations in Huntington’s disease patients: comparison with genetic rodent models. J Neuroendocrinol. 2014;26(11):761‐
- van Wamelen DJ, Aziz NA, Zhao J, Balesar R, Unmehopa U, Roos RA, Swaab DF. Decreased hypothalamic prohormone convertase expression in huntington disease patients. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2013;72(12):1126‐
- van Wamelen DJ, Aziz NA, Anink JJ, van Steenhoven R, Angeloni D, Fraschini F, Jockers R, Roos RA, Swaab DF. Suprachiasmatic nucleus neuropeptide expression in patients with Huntington’s Disease. Sleep. 2013;36(1):117‐
- van Wamelen DJ, Aziz NA, Anink JJ, Roos RA, Swaab DF. Neuropeptide alterations in the infundibular nucleus of Huntington’s disease patients. J Neuroendocrinol. 2013;25(2):198‐
- van Wamelen DJ, Aziz NA, Anink JJ, Roos RA, Swaab DF. Paraventricular nucleus neuropeptide expression in Huntington’s disease patients. Brain Pathol. 2012;22(5):654‐
- Shan L, Hofman MA, van Wamelen DJ, Van Someren EJ, Bao AM, Swaab Dick F. Diurnal fluctuation in histidine decarboxylase expression, the rate limiting enzyme for histamine production, and its disorder in neurodegenerative diseases. 2012;35(5):713‐5.
- van Wamelen DJ, Shan L, Aziz NA, Anink JJ, Bao AM, Roos RA, Swaab DF. Functional increase of brain histaminergic signaling in Huntington’s disease. Brain Pathol. 2011;21(4):419‐
- van Wamelen DJ, Hama‐Amin AD, Gilhuis HJ, De Bruijn SF. Central neurogenic hyperventilation due to pontine glioma. Neurol India. 2011;59(5):782‐
- van Wamelen DJ, Klumper FJ, de Haas M, Meerman RH, van Kamp IL, Oepkes D. Obstetric history and antibody titer in estimating severity of Kell alloimmunization in pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol. 2007;109(5):1093‐
- Smilowska K, Domingos J, van Wamelen DJ, Pasman JW, van de Warrenburg BP, Bloem BR. Billiards-related dystonia: a new task-specific dystonia. Under review.
- Godijn N, van Wamelen DJ, WCG Plandsoen, Peeters‐Scholte CMPCD. Hypersomnia and tic disorder due to neuroborreliosis. Under review.
- Smilowska K, van Wamelen DJ, Bloem BR. The multimodal effect of circadian interventions in Parkinson’s disease: a systematic review.
- Smilowska K, van Wamelen DJ, Schouten T, Bloem BR. Patient perspectives on the usability of blue light therapy glasses in Parkinson’s disease.
- van Wamelen DJ, Podlewska A, Leta V, Rizos A, Martinez-Martin P, Chaudhuri KR. Slave to the rhythm: seasonal differences in non-motor symptoms in Parkinson’s disease. In preparation.
- Lim EW, Aarsland D, Taddei RN, Fytche D, van Wamelen DJ, Chaudhuri KR. Amyloid-B and Parkinson’s disease. In preparation.